Thursday 6 May 2010

Honesty!

So today's wordlive was all about excuses. Moses was up the mountain with God, and he left Aaron with the people and they moaned and forgot about God. They asked Aaron to make them an idol and he made a golden calf. When Moses got back he was less than impressed with the whole situation! He pulled Aaron up about it, but Aaron decided that he would pass the blame, he said he only did what the people wanted. That he threw their gold jewellery into the fire and a golden calf came out. Never mind the fact that Aaron made the calf! He agreed to what the people asked! He was left in charge and he messed up.

I've messed up loads, I've messed up relationships, I've messed up in work, I've messed up with God big time! And lots of the time I know that I'm just like Aaron. Its someone else's fault, I only did it because of this or that. No! We have to own up to our mistakes! Accept the responsibility, be honest, and own up! Easier said than done at times! But we have to try to keep ourselves in check, reflect on our actions, reflect on our motives, reflect on what actually happened. Sometimes we can kid ourselves. Sometimes we can even kid others. But one thing is certain - we can never ever kid God. 

That got me onto thinking about what I hide from other people. Sometimes its the way I feel or what I think. And  then that got me wondering why I do that. Sometimes its because I think its stupid or embarrassing, sometimes I just think its best not to say anything. Sometimes its because I'm annoyed at a person or thing. And sometimes its because it really hurts and I don't want to have to deal with it.

I think that's the most common one! And I think that's also the most dangerous one! All these things I choose not to deal with end up getting stored up. Put in the loft in the hope that they will be forgotten about or dealt with later. And they don't go away! They just wait up there in the loft. Waiting for other things to be added. Or waiting for the loft to become so full that it will overspill and I will be forced to look, and forced to do something to clear up the mess!

So I'm thinking I should try and deal with things at the time! Accept responsibility, see things as they are and as God would see them. Be honest with other people. But most of all be honest with God. As challenging as that is! Because He is the only one who can show you the right way to deal with your mistakes, your hurts and your loft issues!

No comments: